Ask us to buy it
This is a request that the library buy an item that we do not hold in our collection, or have on order.
Before you fill out the form, please note the following:
- Our catalogue will indicate if we already have an item on order on in stock. Please check it before making a suggestion.
- If you are suggesting eBooks or eAudiobooks, these should be requested through the recommendations service on Overdrive (tutorial available here).
- Popular new titles are ordered automatically so you don't need to ask us to buy them.
- We do not consider suggestions with a publication date more than six months ahead, or older than two years.
- You can send up to three requests per week.
If we decide to purchase the item
If we decide to purchase the item and you have asked us to reserve it, we will place a reserve against the item. However, we cannot guarantee priority placement on a reserves list. The reserve costs $2 and you will receive notification when the item is here for you.
If we decide not to purchase the item
If we decide not to purchase the item, you will receive notification and a brief explanation of the decision (please see the note below).
Suggestion to buy requests can be declined by Wellington City Libraries for one or more of the following reasons:
- Current collection priorities and budget do not allow for the purchase of the item, or there are sufficient items on the topic in the collection
- It is out of print
- It is unable to be sourced through our contractual suppliers,
- Unsuitable format for inclusion in a public library
- The publication date is more than 6 months in the future (customers can enquire again closer to the publication date), or older than 2 years
- It is too specialised/academic for public library collections
- Items purchased for the eBook collection will not necessarily be purchased for the print collection
- The DVD has not yet received a New Zealand rating as required by the Films & Video Publications Classification Act 1993.