Ask us to buy it
This is a request that the library buy an item that we do not hold in our collection, or have on order.
Please be aware that due to the closure of the Central Library building it may be some time before we are able to consider your suggestion.
Before you fill out the form, please note the following:
- We do not consider suggestions with a publication date more than six months ahead, or older than two years
- New titles that are part of an ongoing series, or are written by an author whose previous books we also hold will usually be ordered automatically, so you don't need to suggest them. Keep an eye on our catalogue so you can reserve the item when it is ordered. If you're not sure, feel free to email us.
- You can send up to three requests per week for our physical collections.
- If you are suggesting eBooks or eAudiobooks, these should be requested through the recommendations service on Overdrive (tutorial available here). You can suggest one Overdrive title for purchase every 30 days.
- If you are recommending we purchase a self-published title, please read our Self-published FAQs first: PDF version or Word version.
If we decide to purchase the item
If we decide to purchase the item and you have asked us to reserve it, we will place a reserve against the item. However, we cannot guarantee priority placement on a reserves list. The reserve costs $2 and you will receive notification when the item is here for you.
If we decide not to purchase the item
If we decide not to purchase the item, you will receive notification and a brief explanation of the decision (please see the note below).
Suggestion to buy requests can be declined by Wellington City Libraries for one or more of the following reasons:
- Current collection priorities and budget do not allow for the purchase of the item, or there are sufficient items on the topic in the collection
- It is out of print
- It is unable to be sourced through our contractual suppliers,
- Unsuitable format for inclusion in a public library
- It is too specialised/academic for public library collections
- Items purchased for the eBook collection will not necessarily be purchased for the print collection
- The DVD has not yet received a New Zealand rating as required by the Films & Video Publications Classification Act 1993.