Frequently Asked Questions
How do I...
- Check my card/account?
- How do I renew?
- Find technical support / Ask us question?
- What internet / wifi do you have at the library?
- What do catalogue locations mean? (E.g. GRDFL, NZCOLL)
- How do I find out what an item or service will cost? (fees and charges)
- How do I pay?
- Can I get a reminder before my books are overdue?
- Find out about E-books, supported devices, kindle etc.?
- Suggest the library buy a book?
How can I check my library card/account?
You can check your card at any time by visiting: http://wcl.govt.nz/card and entering your card number (e.g. C123...) and your last name.
From here you can select the headings to see your:
- Loans: what you have out and when it is due back.
- Overdue items: items due to be returned.
- Reserves: what you have on reserve. 'Request pending' means the item is not available yet; 'Ready for pickup' means you can collect it. You can cancel a reserve by selecting the title, then clicking 'Cancel this reserve'.
- Charges, fees and lost material: information on charges such as overdue, interlibrary returns and reserve charges.
- Borrower status: if it says 'Restricted', you may have money owing or we may require some information from you. Please ask at your local library.
For more information see our tutorial on checking your card.
How do I renew my loans?
You can renew your items for a further issue period if there are no reserves on them.
To do this, you can:
- Visit any of our branches
- Check your card and renew your items online
See our tutorial on checking your card for more details on how to renew items online.
How can I pay my account?
Payments can be made at any branch library by cash, eftpos or credit card. Credit card payments are also accepted by telephone, Monday to Friday between 9:30am and 5pm, by calling 801 4058 or 801 4055. See Returns and Overdues for more information.
Does it cost anything to borrow from the library?
Books, with the exception of the bestseller collection, are free to borrow. Some of our other collections e.g. DVDs, CDs, magazines etc have rental fees. For a full list of these, see our borrowing page.
Fees will apply for items returned after their due date. Borrowed items need to be returned on the day due during the issuing library's opening hours although there is a two day grace period - if the items are returned after this time, they will incur a charge. For a list of these, see Returns and Overdues.
How can I get technical support?
If you are having problems using our catalogues, online databases, eMedia or any other part of our website, please fill out our technical support form and we will provide support where we can. We may need to seek assistance from external suppliers for some services.
For all other questions, please contact one of our staff
Does the library have internet / wifi access?
Internet access on library PCs
We provide both a free and paid internet service within all of our branches. Our free internet service offers access to all New Zealand websites (all .nz websites), as well as a huge number of websites we think are useful for information or research. We also offer a charged-for service which allows general internet use such as search engines and email. This is priced at $1.50 for 15 minutes computer use, $3.00 for 30 minutes and $6.00 for 60 minutes.
Select here for more information.
Free Wi-Fi is available at all our library branches.
Note: The Wi-Fi available at Central and Newtown is cbdfree, a public access network provided by CityLink. Any technical enquiries can be addressed to the cbdfree helpdesk via phone (04 910 5608) 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or email email@example.com
How do I suggest that the library buys a book/CD/DVD etc?
Anyone with a current library card can make a 'Suggestion to Buy'. You can do this by:
- Filling out a Suggestion to Buy form at your local branch
- Calling your local branch OR
- Filling in a Request Form (check the 'Suggestion to buy' option)
What do these location codes on the catalogue mean: GRDFL, 1STFL, 2NDFL, CSTACK, NSTACK?
These are abbreviations that indicate different locations within the Central Library
- GRDFL = Ground Floor
- 1STFL = First Floor
- 2NDFL = Second Floor
- CSTACK = Lending copies kept in storage
- NSTACK = New Zealand reference material (not for loan) kept in storage
For CSTACK and NSTACK material, just tell staff at the enquiry desks which titles you want and they will retrieve them for you.
What do I need to be able to download eBooks from Wellington City Libraries?
- A Wellington City Libraries card
- Internet access
- A computer, compatible eReader or mobile device
Our eBooks are supplied by a service called OverDrive and can be found on our eLibrary page.
Can I get a reminder before my books are overdue?
Yes, you can get e-mail reminders by signing up to Library Elf