Hono Mai Joining
We have joining options available for all New Zealand residents - even if you don't live in the Wellington City ratepaying area. Membership is free for Wellington residents and ratepayers, and those who work or study in Wellington (conditions apply).
How do I join the library?
You can complete the joining process at any of our branch libraries - joining takes about 10 minutes.
- Read the Conditions of Membership
- Visit our Membership Types page to see which membership you qualify for
- Bring with you valid photo ID & recent proof of address (any bill, bank statement, letter etc. that has your name and address)
- Come prepared with an alternative contact's address — this must be a different address than your own, and someone who knows you well (this person does not have to be resident in Wellington)
- You can use your card at any of our branch libraries
You can print and complete a membership form before you visit to speed the process, or start the joining process online
Please note: When joining online, your temporary card may not be used to borrow items until you complete the joining process in person.
Conditions of Membership
- A Parent or Guardian is required to sign the form and be responsible for all Child or Young Adult cards and the items issued on them
- Cards shouldn't be used by anyone else but the cardholder. All items borrowed are the responsibility of the card holder
- All items are to be returned to the library before closing time on their due date
- The library must be notified of any change of address and any library card lost or stolen. All items issued before such notification are the card holders' responsibility
- Payment is to be made on demand for all item rental charges, overdue charges, damages and replacement charges that are incurred
- Information will be passed on to a debt collection and credit reporting agency should you default, and an administration charge may be incurred
- You cannot join online if you are an existing member. If you are unsure whether you belong to the library, please contact us