Overdues, Lost Items & Payments
- All rates listed are per day
- Overdue charges are calculated at the rate applicable on the date items are returned
|Adults||Children & Young Adults *||Housebound Borrowers||Out of Towner|
|CDs & CYA CDs||60c||30c||none||60c|
|DVDs & CYA DVDs||$1||50c||none||$1|
|Videos & CYA Videos||$1||50c||none||$1|
|Tapes & CYA Tapes||60c||30c||none||60c|
|CD-ROMs & CYA CD-ROMs||$1||50c||none||$1|
|Kits & CYA Kits||60c||30c||none||60c|
* Parents are responsible for items taken out on their children's cards. Children and Young Adults pay 1/2 of the adult overdue rates for all items except books, Bestseller books and magazines. (Back)
- Overdue fees (see details above) are charged when items have not been returned three days or more after the due date
- To avoid overdue fees, please return your items during opening hours within two days after the due date — or renew them online or in our libraries to extend their due date
- Interlibrary return fees may apply
- Notices are sent out after an item has been overdue for five days after the due date
- Replacement costs are charged for lost or damaged items
This is in line with the Wellington City Libraries' Customer Charter.
An additional interlibrary return fee of $1 per item applies when a library item is returned to a library it wasn't issued from, e.g. if books borrowed from Miramar Library are returned at the Central Library.
Returning items to the library you borrowed them from means they are back on the shelves sooner, for others to borrow. It means we can provide a more efficient service so that you get the most out of our libraries.
You can pay with a credit or debit card on our online payments site
In person at any Wellington City Libraries branch by Eftpos, cash or cheque.
By online banking
Create a payment to:
- WCC bank account — 06 0582 0106111 00
- Put 'Library' as your Reference
- Put your library card number as your Code
- Put your name in the Particulars field
After paying, please email our Customer Accounts team to confirm your payment which you should see on your account within a few days.
What do you do if you have a lost or damaged item?
Contact your library and let them know that you have lost an item as soon as you can. The replacement cost will be automatically loaded onto your card ready for payment.
If you have damaged an item, you will be asked to pay the full replacement cost.
If an item is returned with a part missing it will be classed as a damaged item (e.g. a DVD/CD returned without the disk or cover). If you find and return (in good condition) a item within six months of paying, you will receive a refund of the replacement cost.
We can send you automatic reminder emails 5 days after your items are due. To make email your preferred notification method, fill out our email notices request form.
If a notification bounces back, we will contact you via our automated phone system or by post.
For email reminders before your items are due, here is information about Library Elf.
Please note: If you're interested in signing up to this service, we do advise you to read through the Library Elf FAQs provided first, in particular the privacy statement about the library card details you're providing to them. Library Elf is a completely independent service from Wellington City Libraries based in Canada, so we are unable to take responsibility for Library Elf's failure to deliver e-mail or other notices.
Please have your library card number ready so we can check your record.