Hono Mai Joining
We have joining options available for all Wellingtonians in our region - even if you don't live in the Wellington City ratepaying area. Membership is free for Wellington City residents and ratepayers, and those who work or study in Wellington (conditions apply).
How do I join the library?
You can complete the joining process in person at any of our branch libraries:
- Visit our Membership Types page to see which membership you qualify for
- You'll need to bring with you:
- Photo ID — e.g. a driver's license
Proof of your current residential address — e.g. a recent bank statement or bill.
Electronic proof of address is valid — e.g. showing a staff member details from an email bill that includes your address.
Branch libraries also have Wellington electoral rolls to verify your home address — if you were registered to vote at your current address.
- Read the Conditions of Membership
- You will be able to use your card for our online resources
- If you're under 18 years, then your parent or guardian will need to apply online for you
To speed your in-person visit, you can start the joining process online
Please note: When joining online, your temporary card may not be used to borrow items until you complete the joining process.
Conditions of Membership
- A Parent or Guardian is required to sign the form and be responsible for all Child or Young Adult cards and the items issued on them
- Cards shouldn't be used by anyone else but the cardholder. All items borrowed are the responsibility of the card holder
- All items are to be returned to the library before closing time on their due date
- The library must be notified of any change of address and any library card lost or stolen. All items issued before such notification are the card holders' responsibility
- Payment is to be made on demand for all item rental charges, overdue charges, damages and replacement charges that are incurred
- Information will be passed on to a debt collection and credit reporting agency should you default, and an administration charge may be incurred
- You cannot join online if you are an existing member. If you are unsure whether you belong to the library, please contact us