He tauākī punanga Privacy statement
Your privacy is important to Wellington City Libraries. This privacy statement covers our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. It has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights, as set out in the Privacy Act 2020.
At times we may amend the statement in response to developments in our services or privacy best practice.
Who you can contact for further information
If you have any queries or concerns about this Privacy Statement or personal data Wellington City Libraries has collected, we are happy to respond or investigate. Please contact us using one of the methods below:
Postal address: PO Box 1992, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
For more detailed information about our obligations and your rights under the Privacy Act, you can refer to the Privacy Commissioner's website or call the Privacy Commissioner's enquiry line: 0800 803 909.
What kind of personal information we collect
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, email address, telephone numbers, and gender. It may also include information on your use of our services or facilities and any other information provided by you through your communications with us, or on registration as a library member.
When we collect your information
We may collect personal information about you as set out below.
When you or someone acting on your behalf provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- apply for employment with us
- correspond with us in person, by letter, phone, email, instant messages, or other means of electronic communication
- complete and submit forms, e.g. suggestion to buy for our collection
- use any of our services or facilities, including signing up for and using our online services and apps, such as online payment services, or newsletters, or service updates
- prepare and submit a written submission, request, or other feedback in relation to library services
- follow or post comments in response to our social media or other facilities, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
We may keep a record of any information you acquire from us.
We may collect personal information about you from other organisations, entities or persons, such as:
- our related organisations, including Council Controlled Organisations
our suppliers, which include organisations such as:
- online services and elibrary collection vendors
- the New Zealand Police, credit reporting agencies and other organisations, entities and persons where you have expressly authorised them to provide us with information.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV), capturing both sound and footage, is used in particular areas to monitor and secure facilities.
Signage indicates where CCTV equipment is operating. CCTV footage will only be viewed by authorised people in accordance with the purpose noted above, or when checking that the system is operational. No attempt will be made to identify individuals from CCTV footage except in cases of reported or suspected incidents requiring investigation.
In some instances, your personal information may be transferred, and held, by service providers in New Zealand and overseas (for example, where it is stored using a cloud-based service).
Responses to online forms
When you respond to an online form on our site, we hold any information you have entered into these forms. This information is used to respond to issues you raise, correct information we hold, provide a service to you, or to inform decision making and is shared with any third-parties needed to provide a service to you, e.g. support queries for our eLibrary resources.
Website cookies and analytics
We may collect information about your visit to help us improve this website. This information is aggregated and doesn't identify you personally. It includes:
- your IP address
- the search terms you used
- the pages you accessed on our site and the links you clicked on
- the date and time you visited the site
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site
- your operating system (eg Windows 10, Mac Mojave)
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chome, Safari)
- other things like your screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
Use of statistical information
The information referred to above will be viewable by website administrators and certain other Wellington City Libraries staff.
Tools and cookies on our website
We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners.
Google Tag Manager
wcl.govt.nz uses Google Analytics to measure which pages on our site attract the most interest and to inform our overall communications and engagement strategy to ensure we are engaging with a variety of different users. Google may use the data collected to contextualise and personalise the ads of its own advertising network.
If you would like to opt-out of any of Google Analytics function visit these currently available opt-outs for the web.
Google Ads Remarketing
Facebook Ads conversion tracking (Facebook pixel)
Facebook Ads conversion tracking (Facebook pixel) is an analytics service provided by Facebook that connects data from the Facebook advertising network with actions performed on wellington.govt.nz. The Facebook pixel tracks conversions that can be attributed to ads on Facebook, Instagram and Audience Network.
Occasionally we use Crazy Egg click tracking and session recording for understanding how visitors are using specific parts of wcl.govt.nz. We never aim to collect personally identifiable information using Crazy Egg and endeavour to keep all collected data anonymous.
How we use your information
The personal information we collect from you, or someone acting on your behalf, may be used for any of the following purposes:
- To provide you with services or facilities – including those you have requested and those our Council Controlled Organisations provide to you.
- To confirm your identity – this is to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information.
- To respond to correspondence or provide you with information you have requested.
- To process your application to use or register for any of our services or facilities, including our online services and to process payments received or made by the Council.
- To respond to your requests, enquiries, feedback, or for customer care related activities.
- To provide you with information about our (or our Council Controlled Organisations') events, news, services, or facilities we consider may be of interest to you.
- To comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- To carry out activities connected with the running of our business or operations such as personnel training, or testing and maintenance of computer and other systems.
- For any specific purpose that we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected.
- For general administrative and business purposes.
Keeping your information secure and accurate
We take reasonable steps to make sure personal information is:
- protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access – we give restricted access to individuals who need personal information to help us perform our duties and obligations
- accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
Sharing your information
We may disclose personal information about you to:
- any person engaged by the Council to provide products or services to you on our behalf, where your personal information is necessary for the provision of those products or services
- Council Controlled Organisations, in order to assist with the functions and services they provide
- a third party, if we are required to do so under laws or regulations, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations. This may include sharing CCTV footage with the New Zealand Police or other public sector agencies where criminal activity is reported or suspected. The New Zealand Police may also access live feeds from certain CCTV cameras from time to time for law enforcement, investigation, and emergency response purposes
- any person you authorise us to disclose your personal information to
- any person, if that information is publically available, eg information held on property files or the rating information database
What if you do not provide us with the personal information requested
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information about you that we request from you, we may not be able to adequately respond to your correspondence, process any applications you have submitted, provide the services or facilities you have requested, process payments, or otherwise deal with any requests or enquiries you have submitted.
How long we hold personal information
We may retain all personal information we collect (on both our active systems and our archive systems) for as long as administratively necessary, in accordance with the Council's information retention and disposal schedule.
The Public Records Act 2005 requires us to retain "protected records" indefinitely. In some circumstances, your personal information may be included within a protected record.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may request confirmation of whether or not we hold any personal information about you, and you may request access to your personal information that we hold by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Privacy Commissioner's 'About Me' tool. Once we have verified your identity, we will provide you with confirmation and access, unless one of the grounds for refusal set out in the Privacy Act applies.
You may request that the personal information we hold about you be corrected by emailing us at email@example.com. If we agree that your personal information is to be corrected, we will do so and we will also provide you with an amended record, if requested.
Your rights of access to and correction of any personal information we hold about you are subject to the procedures set out in the Privacy Act.
Using copyright material from this website
You are free to copy, distribute and adapt the material, as long as you attribute the work to Wellington City Council and follow the other licence terms.
- Some material linked to, included in or referenced on this website is owned by people or organisations separate to Wellington City Libraries. This material retains the status given to it by the relevant copyright holder. The licence referred to above does not apply to such material, and no licence to use it is granted to a user of this website.
- Attribution to the Wellington City Libraries should be in written form and not by reproduction of any such emblem, logo, or Coat of Arms.
How to attribute material
If you publish, distribute, or otherwise disseminate this work to the public without adapting it, use:
"Source: Wellington City Council and licensed by WCC for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence."
If you adapt this work in any way or include it in a collection, and publish, distribute, or otherwise disseminate that adaptation or collection to the public, use:
"This work is based on/includes WCC data, which is licensed by Wellington City Council for re-use under the
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence."
Who to contact about using material from this website
If you have questions about material from this website, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using images from Wellington City Archives
Images from the Wellington City Archives featured on this website may only be used for private study or research purposes. They may not be used for any other purpose without the permission of the Council. To ask for permission or digital copies for reproduction, fill in the Archives queries and requests form.
This website has some text and other items that are used with the copyright holder's permission. These items are provided on this website for the purpose of personal and non-commercial study (such as school projects, family and local history research). You may not reproduce, in print or electronic format, these items without first getting permission from the copyright holder.
For written permission to use these items for any purpose other than personal and non-commercial study, please contact the copyright holder. Specific copyright statements may accompany individual items. The Council has made every effort to contact copyright holders. Please let us know of any errors or omissions so they can be corrected.